Brazil – Never let a good crisis go to waste
Brazil has featured heavily in the international press in recent months, sadly for wrong reasons. Whether it’s political or corporate scandals, an economic downturn, which has taken many market participants by surprise due its severity, or the rampant Zika virus, currently being addressed.
Nevertheless, for both domestic and foreign investors, at least for the political turmoil, sentiment appears to indicate we are at peak crisis levels, and as an end game, perhaps we shall see the findings of the ‘Panama Papers’ as being the straw which breaks the camel’s back on the political front. Year to date, after being heavily oversold in 2015 and combined with the stabilisation in commodity prices, the Brazilian stock market is a global top performer.
For those unfamiliar with the Brazilian stock market, there are some important aspects to highlight. Given the absolute size of the economy, ranking in the top ten on a global basis, the stock market is woefully underrepresented in terms of the number of listed stocks. With around 400 listed stocks to choose from, this places Brazil as 28th in the global index rankings of the number of listed companies. In addition, the Bovespa is highly concentrated, with the top-five companies representing around 50% of the index value. These large capitalisation stocks – which have the most significance on the index – consist of commodity and financial services companies that are highly dependent on global macroeconomic and commodity trends.
At Focus Brazil Research, we take a different approach, choosing rather to search for companies below the radar that can withstand cyclical volatility. We concentrate on firms which either have unique business models or those exposed to long-term structural growth themes across the country. A consequence of this strategy is a focus on mid-capitalisation firms which have limited, or poor quality, corporate research coverage. Providing research on these names bridges the gap between corporates and investors, without the numerous conflicts of interest that are normally associated with investment banks.
Despite the economic crisis and the subsequent falls in the stock market, fundamentals of a number of names have gone from strength to strength. We highlight the healthcare sector – and specifically winners and losers in the drugstore sector. In the period since the beginning of 2011, RaiaDrogasil, which operates a successful chain of pharmacies that are largely located in the more metropolitan areas of the Southeast of the country, has seen its share price rise triple. RaiaDrogasil, with its clear and conservative strategy, has clearly been the winner in the listed sector since its merger. This compares with its main peer, Brasil Pharma, embarking on an aggressive regional buy and build strategy, causing major operational integration challenges, leading to the subsequent dilution and collapse of the share price.
Separately, we would note that not all industries have seen a linear movement in their operations and fundamentals. Aside from the national commodity companies, one area that has undergone some of the most significant restructuring in recent years has been the real estate sector, and in particular, home-builders. This sector, with over 15 listed names, is one of the most highly represented in the Brazilian stock exchange. Following a period of excess capital raising and aggressive launches, the sector has had to deal with a multi-year period of restructuring and downsizing. While the top-down economic backdrop of Brazil would, at best, suggest caution and at worst, panic, there will be selective long-term success stories in the sector.
While the press concentrates on the bigger picture stories which gain internet page views and sell newspapers, in the background there are a number of high-quality firms getting on with their business. These firms have been through periods of military dictatorship, impeachments of Presidents and hyperinflation. The current political and economic storm, while challenging, can be navigated successfully. Looking at the overall index at a time when there has been a sharp correction to the Brazilian stock market, which has been driven by a reversal of bearish trades and fuelled largely by a stabilisation and rally in commodities, participants may be wise to take caution when monitoring the Bovespa from current levels. We would also highlight the risk of a dollar appreciation causing an outflow away from emerging markers, back towards dollar denominated assets. Nevertheless, for those looking to dig a little deeper into small- and mid-capitalisation names, there are a number of interesting candidates.
Focus Brazil’s first report “Iguatemi Empresa de Shopping Centers – Reassuringly Expensive” is now available on ResearchPool.
The views expressed are those of the author, Sebastian Davidson, and do not necessarily reflect the views of Focus Brazil Research Limited. They are subject to change, and no forecasts can be guaranteed. The comments may not be relied upon as recommendations or investment advice.
Terms & Conditions
LAST UPDATED: 29 June 2015
The following terminology applies to these Terms and Conditions, Privacy Statement and any other disclaimer or notice and any or all Agreements: “User”, “You” and “Your” refers to you, the person accessing this website and accepting the Company’s terms and conditions whether you create an account with us or not. Some of the provisions of this Agreement will be applicable only when you have ticked the box “I agree” below. “The Company”, “Ourselves”, “We” and “Us”, refers to our Company, ResearchPool Limited (company number 09415619) of 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU, United Kingdom. “Party”, “Parties”, or “Us”, refers to both the User and ourselves, or either the User or ourselves. All terms refer to the offer, acceptance and consideration of payment necessary to undertake the process of our assistance to the User in the most appropriate manner, whether by formal meetings of a fixed duration, or any other means, for the express purpose of meeting the User’s needs in respect of provision of the Company’s stated services/products, in accordance with and subject to, prevailing English Law. Any use of the above terminology or other words in the singular, plural, capitalisation and/or he/she or they, are taken as interchangeable and therefore as referring to same.
Content; any information, images or graphics in the Service, including Materials, ResearchPool Pictures, Prints and ResearchPool Picture Screensavers
Contributors; those persons and entities providing information to the Service
Materials; research reports and morning notes and any other materials provided
Service; www.researchpool.com web site.
Terms; these terms and conditions for use of the Service
Third Party Providers; third party companies and suppliers of Content including Contributors
- be aged 18 or over
- only use the Service for your personal use and not for any business purposes
- only have one active registration for the Service at any one time
- keep your password and any other security features secure and not allow others to use them or your registration
- ensure all information provided to us is accurate, honest and not misleading
- tell us of any changes to your registration details, in particular your email address
- act reasonably and honestly
- comply with all applicable laws and market regulations and any Documentation
- comply with these Terms (including privacy and intellectual property rights)
- By registering on researchpool.com, all products and services will be displayed in British Pounds Sterling (GBP) or EURO (EUR) as selected in your My Account preferences. The purchases will be processed in the set displayed currency using a credit card.
About ResearchPool Content
The information provided herein is protected by copyright and intellectual property laws. It may be displayed and printed for your personal, non-commercial use only. You may not reproduce, retransmit, distribute, disseminate, sell, publish, broadcast or circulate the information to anyone without the express written consent of ResearchPool and the research provider.
You are requesting information from a library of analyst research, made accessible by ResearchPool but written by a wide number of professional investment researchers. Research provided on researchpool.com is not written, reviewed, edited or in any way endorsed by ResearchPool. Though some of the research providers may aim to provide advice, ResearchPool has no such intent or involvement. In particular, ResearchPool is not intending to lead persons to invest in any of the particular investments referred to in its library. Seek independent advice from your professional investment adviser before relying on any research accessed from this site.
You may edit personal information (including contact information and credit card details) at any time in the secure My Account section of researchpool.com.
This contract is offered in English language only by ResearchPool Limited. Registered office: 20-22 Wenlock Road, London, N1 7GU, United Kingdom. Registered number: 09415619. Registered in England and Wales
Right to Returns
- Non-physical goods (delivered electronically) are delivered immediately. To request a refund for an electronically delivered item please contact Support at [email protected]
- All eligible refunds will be processed within 30 days. Please note that while ResearchPool will process eligible refunds within 30 days, your credit card company may delay displaying the refund on your credit card statement. ResearchPool cannot be held accountable for refunds failing to appear on credit card statements within 30 days.
We may, and Third Party Providers may, refuse or deny access to anyone, using reasonable discretion.
We will use reasonable care in compiling the Service and will use reasonable endeavours to make the Service available to you.
We are committed to protecting your privacy. Authorised employees within the company on a need to know basis only use any information collected from individual Users. We constantly review our systems and data to ensure the best possible service to our Users. There are specific offences for unauthorised actions against computer systems and data. We will investigate any such actions with a view to prosecuting and/or taking civil proceedings to recover damages against those responsible
Suitability of Service
You acknowledge that the Service does not aim to provide advice tailored to individual investors or your needs and that you can lose money on investments. The Service should never be used in isolation of your individual circumstances. You must consider your financial circumstances, risk tolerance, liquidity needs and investment objectives. The Service does not replace the advice of an authorised investment professional or independent financial adviser.
Content in the Service is not appropriate for the purposes of making a decision to carry out a transaction or trade. You should check all information and prices with your broker immediately prior to carrying out any trade.
No investment advice
No ResearchPool content on the Service is:-
- providing investment, tax or legal advice and no ResearchPool content in the Service amounts to investment advice under Financial Services laws.
- recommending any financial instrument, investment or product, including those discussed on the Service.
No ResearchPool content on the Service should be used or regarded as an offer or solicitation of an offer from us to buy or sell securities.
You acknowledge that neither ResearchPool, nor ResearchPool staff will give investment advice as part of the Service and that you must not ask them to do so.
The information provided in the Service is solely for your personal, non-trading use. You are expected to make your own investment decisions without undue reliance on it. For this, you should seek independent financial advice. It is not a real-time service and you agree to release us from any and all liability arising from any investment you have made whether or not you have relied on any information on researchpool.com.
Exclusions and Limitations
The information on this web site is provided on an “as is” basis. To the fullest extent permitted by law, this Company:
- excludes all representations and warranties relating to this website and its contents or which is or may be provided by any affiliates or any other third party, including in relation to any inaccuracies or omissions in this website and/or the Company’s literature; and
- excludes all liability for damages arising out of or in connection with your use of this website. This includes, without limitation, direct loss, loss of business or profits (whether or not the loss of such profits was foreseeable, arose in the normal course of things or you have advised this Company of the possibility of such potential loss), damage caused to your computer, computer software, systems and programs and the data thereon or any other direct or indirect, consequential and incidental damages.
What we are NOT liable for:
We and our Third Party Providers are therefore NOT liable for the following in relation to your use of the Service:-
- any indirect or consequential loss or loss of profits or revenue or investment
- loss of data
- any loss which is not reasonably foreseeable
- promotions, competitions, offers for goods, events promoted on the Service which are run by third parties such as advertisers or sponsors
- events beyond our/their reasonable control, including telecommunications or the Internet and computer viruses
- factual, technical or typographical errors or omissions, missing or unavailable or incomplete Content or the fact Content is not up to date
- downtime or delays in the Service or in provision of Content.
The law contains some other implied warranties such as “satisfactory quality” and “fitness for purpose” which we regard as inappropriate for an information service and therefore they do not apply, to the maximum extent permitted by law.
What we ARE liable for:
We and our Third Party Providers ARE liable:-
- for death or personal injury caused by our negligence
- for obligations under laws which we are not allowed to exclude, such as the Financial Services and Markets Act 2000
- for fraudulent representations made by us or our agents
- to re-send you reports you have paid for but failed to receive
Our maximum liability will be the amount of any fees paid by you to ResearchPool in the transaction in which event causing the liability arose.
Reasonableness and the law
You agree the above liability arrangement is reasonable given the nature and cost of the Service. If you wish to seek legal recourse you should do so only using English courts, law and regulators as this Service is provided by ResearchPool Limited, a UK company. This will not affect any of your mandatory rights.
- are prepared for experienced investors with a high degree of financial sophistication and knowledge
- contain the views of Contributors, not us. In particular, “buy”, “sell” or “hold” statements regarding particular investments represent the Contributor’s opinion regarding those investments and not a specific investment recommendation which you should rely on, irrespective of your personal circumstances. If you need investment advice you should consult an independent financial adviser
- do not attempt to take into account all circumstances or estimates, whether economic, financial or competitive
- are not always updated to reflect changes in such circumstances or changes in opinion of a Contributor or the market
- contain notices and disclaimers inserted by Contributors. You should familiarise yourself with these notices/disclaimers and seek advice, if appropriate, from an authorised financial adviser
Intellectual Property Rights and Use of Content
You agree that all intellectual property rights in the Service and the Content, including trademarks, are and shall remain the property of us and/or Third Party Providers and you shall not acquire any rights in them.
You may only use Content for your own personal use. You may not store or archive Content, except on a temporary basis so that you can read it. You will not otherwise remove or alter any Content on the Service and you may not forward, distribute, copy or otherwise exploit the Content or Service without our prior written consent. In particular, you may not copy or paste Content (including ResearchPool news or pictures) into other web sites.
You must obtain their prior permission before you use anyone else’s details from or in connection with the Service.
Third Party Rights
You acknowledge that Third Party Providers may have rights in the Content or Materials and that they and our Group companies may enforce and enjoy protection of these Terms in accordance with the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999. We can, however, change these Terms without asking such Third Parties. Apart from such persons, no one shall have the right to enforce any of these Terms.
The Service contains links to and collaborates with third party web sites and internet resources. This is done for your convenience. This does not mean that we endorse or approve such sites on their Content. These third party sites are not under our control and we shall not be liable for your reliance on their content.
Neither party shall be liable to the other for any failure to perform any obligation under any Agreement which is due to an event beyond the control of such party including but not limited to any Act of God, terrorism, war, Political insurgence, insurrection, riot, civil unrest, act of civil or military authority, uprising, earthquake, flood or any other natural or man-made eventuality outside of our control, which causes the termination of an agreement or contract entered into, nor which could have been reasonably foreseen. Any Party affected by such event shall forthwith inform the other Party of the same and shall use all reasonable endeavours to comply with the terms and conditions of any Agreement contained herein.
Failure of either Party to insist upon strict performance of any provision of this or any Agreement or the failure of either Party to exercise any right or remedy to which it, he or they are entitled hereunder shall not constitute a waiver thereof and shall not cause a diminution of the obligations under this or any Agreement. No waiver of any of the provisions of this or any Agreement shall be effective unless it is expressly stated to be such and signed by both Parties.
End of Terms/Service
We may suspend or end your use of this Service by giving you notice, which will be appropriate to the circumstances. An example might be if you breach the law, security, or intellectual property rights rules for example.
You may end your registration by contacting us at [email protected].
On termination of the Service, your rights to use it and any Content end.
If you have any questions about ResearchPool’s Terms and Conditions, you should contact [email protected].
Leave a Reply